Oving & District Villages Cup
2 November, 2015 17:10




Wingrave upset the form book when they defeated Steeple Claydon 2-1 in the Oving Villages Cup final on Easter Monday. A penalty 15 minutes from time by Paul Perkins securing victory for Wingrave, seventy four years after their last success. The opening period of the game was fairly even with neither side gaining the upper hand. But after 10 minutes Steeple Claydon won a corner, which was head over by Gibbs. This was immediately followed by a break down the right by the impressive Sam Balls who forced another corner which came to nothing. Steeple Claydon were beginning to get on top and were rewarded a free kick after a clumsy challenge from Bunce, for which he was cautioned. But Brown's free kick was easily cleared by Mitchell.
Steeple Claydon were gaining a lot of success down the Wingrave right and another Brown cross was headed over by Firth. Then in 20th minute Mitchell of Wingrave was dispossessed by Gibbs who was then brought down in the penalty area. Doherty stepped up to take the penalty but his weak penalty was easily saved by Lavender in the Wingrave goal. Within minutes the missed penalty was to prove even more costly as Springett broke through the Steeple Claydon defence and although he saw his first shot saved by Bennion, Springett managed to charge down the clearance and slide the ball into the net to put Wingrave one up. Sam Balls was continuing to cause problems with his crosses but Wingrave were holding firm and giving Steeple Claydon no time on the ball. Although, Steeple Claydon had the bulk of the possession they were not testing the Wingrave keeper, Firth shooting over after a good knock down from Gibbs. Wingrave were now starting to concede free kicks and from one of these Carter-Marsden hit the crossbar with Lavender beaten. Half-time was approaching when Mitchell was again dispossessed by Gibbs who this time beat Lavender with ease, to level the scores. Perkins was then cautioned for a bad tackle on Balls and Springett blazed over when well placed. Steeple Claydon continued to press and had two chances to take the lead, the first from a long throw that eluded everyone in the box and then from a through ball which Firth and Lavender met at the same time. The loose ball falling to Brown who side footed over, Firth was injured in the challenge and was replaced at half-time.
Steeple Claydon dominated the early stages of the second half and nearly took the lead when Balls saw Lavender off his line and shot from 40 yards only to see the shot skim the top of the cross bar. Within minutes Balls again had another long range effort this time firing wide. In a rare break by Wingrave Perkins volleyed wide from a free kick. Wingrave were defending well blocking shots and crosses and protecting their goal then Wingrave thought they had taken the lead when a shot from Wheaton hit the inside of the post and rolled along the line but nobody was there to force the ball home. They game entered a scrappy stage until a long range free kick from Mitchell of Wingrave was parried by Bennion, who in attempting to get to the rebound needlessly brought down Perkins. Paul Perkins picked himself up and dispatched the penalty with ease to give Wingrave the lead.
Wingrave now had 15 minutes to hang on for a famous victory. Steeple Claydon had a chance from another free kick but it came to nothing as did Wingrave's free kick although from the clearance the ball was lobbed back to Springett who shot weakly at Bennion. Minutes later Wingrave thought they had scored again when Djuric put the ball into the net only to be flagged offside. Immediately, Djuric was clear again down the right this time he saw his first shot saved by Bennion and the follow up shot come back off the bar. Steeple Claydon were pressing for the equaliser whilst Wingrave were trying to run down the clock but there was one last attempt from Steeple Claydon when a cross was dropped by Lavender but they could not take advantage of this and Wingrave cleared. After five minutes of added time the final whistle went to spark wild celebrations in the Wingrave camp as they lifted the trophy for the first time since 1935. The trophies were presented to the players and officials by President Percy Young. Lastly, a word of thanks to Jim Styles who stood in at the last minute as an assistant referee when the appointed official was unable to attend.


© Oving & District Villages Cup 2010. All Rights Reserved